This is one of my family’s favourite recipe, a classic that’s easy to make and quite simply delish! The best thing about this recipe is it uses only a few ingredients and is jam packed full of flavour and protein. Enjoy!
Simply Delish Spag Bol
- 2 cups Soya Mince;
- 1 tbsp olive oil rapeseed or sunflower works too;
- 1 medium red onion;
- 3 large garlic cloves;
- 1 tin tomatoes;+ tin water
- 3 tbsp tomato paste;
- 1 vegetable stock cube;
- Spices & Herbs
- 1 tbsp dried oregano;
- 1/2 tsp thyme;
- 1/2 tsp marjoram;
- 1 tsp paprika;
- 1/2 tsp salt;
- 1/2 tsp black pepper;
- 1 tsp basil bunch of torn fresh leaves works well too;
- Soya Mince Prep
- This is a really simple step, all you to do is put your mince into a bowl, cover it with water to soak and leave it while you are prepping your veg. It is the last ingredient to toss into the pan once the cooking starts. Don’t worry I’ll remind you.
- Veg Prep and cooking
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat. Finely chop your onions and mince your garlic.
- Toss the onions with a sprinkle of salt into the oil and stir on a medium heat until the onions have slightly browned.
- Throw in the garlic and stir for another minute or two.
- Next, pour in your tin of tomatoes plus a tin of water.
- Add, your stock cube and tomato paste then stir it all together.
- Now toss in all your herbs and spices and continue to stir and increase heat until the sauce starts to boil. Once this is done, lower the heat to let it just simply simmer. This will reduce the sauce and push the flavours for a rich Mediterranean bouquet.
- Back to the Soya Mince
- Whilst the pot is simmering, rinse and drain your soya mince then simply toss it into your sauce and stir it all together
- Let the mince cook for another 15 minutes or so and then it is ready. My advice when cooking a tomato sauce with or without mince, if you’re not in a hurry, let the sauce cook gently for at least another thirty or more minutes to allow all your flavours to develop.
- This is a great recipe to make the night before a busy day. Simple and delicious.
Spaghetti bolognese is a classic family favourite. It’s simple to make, you can easily double up on your quantities and freeze it for days you are really busy. It’s my twist on a classic Italian recipe. Flavour is everything, so always do a taste test as you cook and adjust salt to suit your palette. This a recipe the whole family will enjoy or one you could serve your friends.
Transform your leftovers
If you’re looking for something to do with the leftovers, you can easily transform this recipe, like I have on many occasions, into a creamy lasagne or a spicy chilli concarne!