There’s nothing more delicious than a pile of mash coated in a rich dark savoury gravy. I love it and it’s real comfort food. Especially in the winter when the body craves a few carbs. My recipe is so easy to make, needs a few ingredients and is so tasty. The hardest part of this recipe is chopping the onions. For real, the rest is all gravy.
Simple Onion Gravy
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil or olive oil
- 2 tsp dark soya sauce or Tamari if GF
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp port/red wine optional
- 1 1/2 cups water (approx 300ml)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper and same amount of salt
- 1/2 tsp onion granules
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- gently heat up oil in a pan and lightly saute your onions.I mix two tablespoons of cornflour to one cup of water. Add in the salt and pepper, garlic and onion granules.
- In another cup dissolve the veg stock cube with a half cup of hot water.
- Pour the cornflour mix into your pan with the onions, stirring constantly until it thickens. When this happens, pour in your stock cube mix and continue to stir until you have a gravy consistency.
- Finally, add a tablespoon of port, stir and its ready to serve.
Brown your onions
Slather on your mash and veg. Eat and Enjoy!