This succulent tofu schnitzel is tender and juicy on the inside and herbaceously crunchy on the outside. Easy to make and so scrumptious. It pairs beautifully with mash and vegetables. One even your non-Veggie friends will salivate over!
We enjoyed our Tofu Schnitzel’s for dinner with, Brussels sprouts and heaps of delicious Curly Kale Mash and my onion and port gravy.
Below is a pic of my favourite tofu. It has a quite firm texture which works well for meaty alternatives. It also absorbs flavours well.
I buy it at my local health food store.
Delightful Dutch Schnitzel
- 280 g Firm Tofu
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 1/2 tsp blackpepper
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp onion granules
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil you may need an extra tbsp
- 1/2 cup plant milk I use Soya milk
- The most important step in this recipe is straining the tofu. Get as much of the water from it as possible. So while your tofu is straining, there are a couple of quick prep things to do.
- Firstly, preheat your oven to about 180C/350FGet three bowls from your cupboard. Pasta bowls work well as they are wide-brimmed.
- Now in a bowl, add one tbsp cornflour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp garlic granules and mix together.
- Your tofu should now be drained. Slice the tofu into approx 1/2 cm slices. You can get about 8 from the 280g tofu I use as it is quite firm and easy to slice.
- While Tofu is in the oven, prepare your other two bowls.Put cornflour, half tsp salt, half tsp garlic granules, tsp onion granules and paprika into one of your bowls. Blend in the half cup of plant milk and leave to one side.
- In another bowl add your breadcrumbs and the remainder of the seasoning. Marjoram, thyme, rosemary and black pepper.
- Remove the tofu from the oven.
- Get out a large plate to place your coated tofu on.Also, add 1 tbsp oil to a large pan and put on a low heat with the garlic cloves.While your pan is heating up, time to coat the tofu.I promise you, this recipe is worth the bit of effort. Keep your oven on and warming up as the crumbed tofu will be going back in soon!
- Now get your first slice of tofu, dip into the cornflour and milk mix, then drop it onto the bed of breadcrumbs. Make sure its coated on both sides, place it on your plate and repeat this step with the rest of the tofu.
- Turn up the heat on your pan and place about four slices of tofu in the pan at a time. Cook on each side until a nice golden brown. This step usually takes 2 minutes on each side.
- Once cooked. This is important now. Wrap the four cooked slices of tofu in some tinfoil, with a clove of garlic from the pan. Place into the oven.
- Repeat the last step for the rest of the tofu.You should now have two neat packets of foiled tofu, finishing off in the oven.The frying should take about 15 minutes in total for 8 slices of tofu.Oven bake to absorb flavour from oil and garlic for another ten to fifteen minutes max.
- And that it is. You should get a nice juicy, tasty bite with a bit of crunch.