I remember as a child coming home from school on my lunch break and cracking open a can of cream of tomato soup. Heating it up in the pot and dipping in chunks of fresh white bread, slurp. Happy memories. Well it’s a memory I cherish and simply had to try veganise. With a few tweaks, a lot of love and soul and a dollop of coconut cream, well, lets just say, it’s close. Rich, tomatoey and creamy. Here’s the how …
Creamy Tomato Soup
- 1 Can Tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp Rapeseed oil
- 2 Cans Water
- 1/2 Cup Passata Or 1/3 tube tomatoe paste
- 2 Vegetable stock cubes
- 2 Tbsp Coconut cream See notes for tips
- 1 Small Onion chipped
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Thyme If you don’t have any of these ingredients add 2 tsp mixed herbs
- 1/2 Tsp Rosemary
- 1/2 Tsp Marjoram
- 1/4 Tsp Mint Optional
- 1/2 Tsp Salt Add at the end, always do a taste test first
- 1/2 Tsp Blackpepper
- In a large pot add the rapeseed or vegetable oil. Toss in your onions and garlic and lightly sauté.
- Next Add a can of tomatoes plus one can of water (just for the moment). Add in all your spices except salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then reduce to medium and simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Add stock cubes plus the extra water and bubble gently.Now add your passata.
- Your soup should be simmering nicely now. You don’t want it to boil, just gently bubble to blend all your spices and herbs.Add two tbsp of coconut cream and continue to stir your soup.I would simmer for another few minutes. Do a taste taste and add your salt and pepper as desired.
- If you wish, you can blend the soup for a nice creamy texture. Simmer for another few minutes.While this is going on. Cut a few chunks off a baguette. Slather with vegan butter. Grab a bowl and a spoon.Pour and enjoy.
Adding a few dollops of cream of coconut milk gives your tomatoe soup that authentic taste. I always leave my canned coconut in the fridge when I buy it. That way the milk is separated and turns to cream so you can add it into your favourite recipes.
For more tasty recipes and stories follow @theveganhoneypot on Instagram.