A wholesome Hale and Hearty Irish Stew is the backbone of Irish cooking and every family has a recipe that’s been handed down from Irish mammy to Irish Mammy. Here is my version of a traditional Irish family classic made with love for my vegan fam.
Mammy’s Irish Stew
- 6 Medium Potatoes
- 4 Medium Carrots
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Large Onion
- 1 Cup Soya Chunks
- 2 Tbsp Miso paste
- 1 Tbsp Dark soya
- 1 Cup Chestnut mushrooms
- 3 Pints Water See notes
- 2 Veg stock cubes
- 1 Tbsp Cournflour
Herbs and spices
- 1 Tsp Thyme A small bunch of fresh thyme works
- 1/2 Tsp Rosemary
- 1/2 Tsp Marjoram If you have mixed herbs add a tsp instead of marjoram
- 1 Tsp Garlic granules
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- Get all your vegetables washed and prepped starting with your pototatoes.Once the potatoes are washed and diced. Parboil, strain and leave to one side. This step can be done while you are doing the following.
- Rehydrate your soya chunks in water for about 5 minutes. When this is done, and I know this sounds strange, makes sure you squeeze out any excess moisture after rehydration. I do this by hand, then I pop all the soya chunks in a large tea towel and squeeze then leave to one side while I get my stew underway. I do have a neat little recipe prep for soya chunks that can be used to do a few different recipes. See the end of this post for directions.
- Heat the oil in a large pot and add in your onions and a pinch of salt. Sauté light light.Dissolve your stock cubes and miso paste in a pint of hot water and pour in over the onions.
- Slowly bring to the boil and add in all your herbs and spices.
- Add your vegetables to the pot and another half pint of water.
- In a jug, dissolve the cornflour in about a half pint of water. Add in your soya sauce then pour into the stew. Ensure you continue to stir until the stew becomes slightly thick and the cornflour is fully incorporated into the mix.
- Now you can add in your prepped soya chunks.
Let me know how if you have given this Hale and Hearty Stew recipe a go and how it turns out. I personally love the mushrooms and soya chunks as they add body to this vibrant stew.
If you fancy a more spicy stew why not try my Caribbean Lentil Stew.
For more delicious recipes and stories, follow @theveganhoneypot on Instagram.