Oh my goodness, talk about a moreish mouthful with every bite. This Caramelised Onion Flat Bread is super delicious and simple to throw together. Just watch!
Caramelised Red Onion Flat Bread
- 3 Large Red Onions see notes
- 1 tbsp olive oil for frying
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp White Vinegar see notes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Flat Bread Ingredients.
- 120 ml White Wine
- 100 ml Olive Oil
- 1 to 1.5 Cups Plain Flour see instructions before you add flour.
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Herbs de Provence
- Chop your onions into rings.
- Heat up the oil in a pan, then add the onions. As they are frying add in your salt and continue to fry. When the onions start to brown, add sugar and vinegar and continue cook until the onions have reached a nice caramel colour and texture.
- Add the oil, wine, herbs, salt and baking powder to a bowl. Whisk it up, then gradually sift the flour into the mixture until it becomes soft sticky dough. See video at the end of recipe.
- Once the dough has come together, its time to roll it out into a rough rectangle.
- Line a baking tray with grease proof paper, add the dough, then get another sheet of paper, place it on top of the dough and roll it out into a bread shape. Aerate the dough using a fork. It’s now ready for the oven.
- Check on your onions, once they are cooked turn off the heat and leave until the flat bread dough is ready.
- The flat bread goes into the oven first for about 7 minutes before adding onions.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C/392 F (fan assisted oven)
- Add the flatbread dough for 7 to 8 minutes until its is slightly golden.
- Remove from the oven. Top with the caramelised red onions and return to the oven for another 7 to 8 minutes until golden and crispy.
I love the aroma and flavour of caramelised red onions. This recipe is super easy and a little posh. It makes a great side dish, or savory snack.
Watch this video for its Super high quality realness. The shakes are deliberate!