A crispy bottom, layered with a refreshingly tart and juicy middle, topped off with a dazzlingly light fluffy meringue with just the right amount of sweetness. Probably the most lush dessert I’ve ever made that doesn’t contain chocolate. If you love a Lemon Meringue Tart well then you will adore this recipe. Takes a bit of time, mostly waiting for the chill, but let me tell you it is worth every second.
Lemon Meringue Pie
- lemon curd ingredients
- 6 tbsp Cornflour cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups 375ml water
- 5 tsp egg replacer
- (Orgran Egg Replacer
- from Nourish).
- 1 3/4 cup caster sugar
- Juice 2 medium lemons
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Meringue Recipe
- Aquafaba from
- one can of chickpeas
- 6 tbsp caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- (you can sub tartar with equal
- amount of lemon juice)
- Once you have your pastry prepared and rolled and ready to go, blind bake it in the oven for about 10 to 12 minutes until it is a light golden brown. While it is baking you can get on with the next step, making the lemon curd.
- Lemon curd method.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in water. Prepare your egg replacer, have your juice, zest and sugar to hand.
- Get a pot on a medium heat and add all the ingredients.
- It is important to whisk continually for at least 8 minutes until your curd is clarified and taking on a nice juicy lemony glow.
- Remove the curd from the pot and put it into a glass bowl or dish and cover with cling film or if you have a lid for your container use that. It will prevent a skin from forming and keep it warm.
- Next step is the meringue. You can use an immersion blender, food processor or hand whisk (the latter needs a lot of elbow grease).
- Add in the aquafaba and cream of tartar only. Get whisking until your meringue has stiff peaks. Once this is achieved, gradually add in your sugar until the meringue is glossy and maintaining its stiff peak status.
- Your pie crust should be out of the oven at this stage.
- Pour your lemon curd into the pie crust. Just enough to come to the edges of the crust.
- Once this is done, pile the meringue mix into the middle of the curd and use a spatula too smooth it out. Don’t worry if it looks like there’s too much, as it will reduce in height with the baking and chilling.
- Add your prepared meringue into the oven and bake for up to ten minutes or until the meringue has a nice toasty brown colour on the top.
- Now the hard part. Give it an hour to cool and at least five hours to chill in the fridge. This ensures a delicious texture when it comes to slicing.
First step is preping and blind baking your pie crust. You can follow this link tasty flaky pastry for more instructions.
Once the base is in the oven. Get started with the lemon curd.
This is how the curd should look once cooked and in your pie crust.
Now get on with getting that meringue whipped up and fluffy.
Gradually add in your sugar.
The meringue should look glossy and have stiff peaks. I know, hard to believe this is here meringue is made from chickpea brine (aquafaba)!!!
Pop the pie into the oven and bake for no more than 15 minutes. Keep an eye on that topping you don’t want it to get too dark.
Toasty, tasty meringue.
For more juicy recipes and live stories, follow @theveganhoneypot on Instagram
Links for Egg Replacer Orgran Note* I use this as an egg replacer in my baking as opposed to making vegan egg dishes. You get double the amount of mileage from it and it works so well in baking. It’s available to buy in Nourish online and in store and Holland & Barrett