I thought I would utilise some flour power to bake a delicious crusty bread. There is nothing more comforting than a slice of home baked loaf, slathered in vegan butter or drizzled with some extra virgin olive oil.
Easy Home Baked Yeast Bread
- 3 cups 700g White Flour
- I used wholewheat flour
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 packets fast acting yeast
- 400 ml Tepid Water.
- Firstly and take note make sure water is tepid and not too warm as it will kill the yeast.
- Now, Add the yeast and Sugar to the tepid water.
- Leave to stand for ten minutes until frothy
- Put all your dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix in the butter with your finger tips. The yeast mix should now be frothy, pour this in with the flour and mix together until you get a dough. Knead the dough for roughly 8 to ten minutes until it is smooth and stretch.
- Put it into a bowl and cover with a tea towel. Let it rise. I let mine rise for about 1 and a half hours. But you can leave it for up to three.
- After the rise, knock it back down. This releases and C02 gases and redistributes the yeast to find other food sources. Once this is done, shape the dough and leave it stand for five minutes. I cover it back up with a tea towel. Then after five minutes, i will slash the dough with a knife and allow to rise a little more maybe three minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C and bake for 35 to 40 mins until the loaf is nice and brown and when you tap it there is a hollow sound.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
I like to prepare the bread dough early and give it the morning to rise. It only takes about 15 minutes to gather all your ingredients and prepare.
It’s too easy. Firstly, ensure you have your tepid water to hand, add the yeast and sugar and let it stand for ten minutes. Make sure the water is tepid, if it is too hot you will kill the yeast. If you’re happy with the temp, pop in the yeast. When it gets frothy its ready to go into the flour mix.
Get out the rest of your ingredients. Combine flour, salt and butter together, mix it up. When the yeast is ready, simply pour it in, mix it together with a fork. As the dough forms and comes away from your bowl, remove it and knead for up to ten minutes. Put it back in your bowl and cover with a damp cloth until you are ready to use it.
After it’s risen, knock it back, knead it again, shape it into a loaf then cover with film or a tea towel for about 5 minutes.
Next do a few quick slashes, down the centre and to the sides of your loaf. Cover again and leave for no more than 5 minutes.
Ensure your oven hot. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
For more delicious recipes and stories follow @theveganhoneypot on Instagram