This is a rich and saucy pie, topped with fluffy creamy mash and roasted rosemary and garlic potatoes. Ooh Saucy, Crispy and Creamy. You will absolutely love this take on an old traditional recipe.
Shepherdless pie topped with crispy potatoes
- 3 cups Dry Soya Mince to 1 Cup of Hot water
- 1 medium onion sautéed
- 1 cup garden peas
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 veg stock cube
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 200 ml water
- Extra cup of water for sauce
- Black pepper
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Fresh herbs
- Tbsp fresh Rosemary
- 1 tsp freshLemon Thyme
- 1 tsp fresh Marjoram.
- 8 medium potatoes choppped.
- 3 tbsp butter for mash
- 1/4 cup soya milk
- Garlic & Rosemary oil
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Sprig Fresh Rosemary chopped
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Mince first. Soak dry mince in a Cup of Hot water.
- Get your potatoes on the boil! Chop a medium red onion.
- Add a splash of oil to your pan.Fry onion for a couple of minutes.
- Add in your mince and reduce the heat.Prep the veg stock and add in seasoning to the stock, then pour over the mince in the pan.
- Dissolve cornflour in 200 ml water and that to the mince.
- Spash in the Soya Sauce. Let it cook for five minutes. Prep your carrots, then chuck them into the pan along with A cup of garden peas. Let it bubble gently for 15 to 20 minutes, then transfer into an oven dish. Rest for five to ten mins.
- Once the potatoes are soft, remove about a cup of potatoes From the pot. These are for your crispy topping.Then add butter and milk to the rest And give them a good mash.
- Gently break up the cup of potatoes and drizzle over the rosemary an garlic oil.
- Add mashed potatoes on top of the mince. Then in the middle pour over your rough Potatoes. It’s like having roast potatoes on top of mash.
- Pop in the hot oven 220 C/400 C and Bake for 20 minutes until the top is crispy.
Get the mince cooking in the pan and add in the stock with the herbs and spice. Don’t forget to add some soya sauce for colour and flavour. Also, while the mince is under way, ensure you put your potatoes on the boil as both these dishes roughly finish at the same time.
Once the cooking is underway and all the spices are in the pan, add in some cornflour, this will help thicken up the sauce. If needs be, add in a splash more dark soya.
If I’m adding carrots, I chop them quite small so they will cook in the sauce. Add them after you’ve added the cornflour and ensure they get about d15 minutes cook time. 5 minutes before the end of the mince prep, I usually add in some frozen garden peas.
While my mince is resting in the oven dish, awaiting the topping, I usually prep my potatoes. Take out the few for going on top for roasting first then get on with mashing the rest.
Drizzle on the garlic and rosemary oil on to the potatoes you set aside. Break them up a little bit before adding on top of your mash as demonstrated below.
Pop the now prepared pie into the hot oven and allow to bake for 20 minutes.
When the time is up, your potatoes should look crispy and golden on top.
Catch up with more recipes and stories with @theveganhoneypot on Instagram and social media.