Remember when you’d bake gluten free cakes or cupcakes or muffins and they would disintegrate and taste really sandy. Well not any more. This recipe is borne from doing a good bit of research and a lot of trial and error. But finally resulting in the fluffiest, lightest and tastiest gluten free lemon cupcakes. And, I’m going to share my recipe and process.
Fluffiest Gluten Free Lemon Cupcakes
- 200 g gluten free flour
- 200 g caster sugar
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp xanthum gum
- 1 tbsb lemon zest
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil
- 180 ml soya milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (for soya milk)*
- 1 tbsp flax plus 2 tbsp water
- ¼ tsp salt
- First thing you do is preheat your oven to 180 C/350 F. I have a fan oven so cooking times may change slighlty.
- Add 1 tbsp flax to a small bowl plus the water and pop in the fridge for a few minutes.
- Measure out the milk, then add 1 tbsp lemon juice. This will curdle it, and leave it to one side while you prep the rest of your ingredients.
- Get a large mixing bowl. Add in your flour, sugar, baking soda, xanthum gum, baking powder, lemon zest and salt. Ensure you spend time whisking all the dry ingredients together in order to disperse your leveners evenly.
- Once the milk has curdled and the flax has set a little its time to get mixing.
- Add the milk, oil and flax to the dry ingredients. Mix well by hand with a wooden spoon. You should have a nice thick, but runny batter. See images below.
- Line a muffin tin with cup cake holders. Using a ice cream scoop, pour mixture into all 12 cupcake holders. I recommend going 3/4 of the way up and leaving room for your batter to rise.
- Place in the middle shelf of the oven, and cook for 18 to 20 minutes. Do the toothpick test to ensure batter is cooked.
Gather all your ingredients together. I have already mixed the sugar with the flour here. It’s important to mention that the Xanthum Gum will really help give your cupcakes stability so don’t omit this step. It’s easy to find in most stores or healthfood stores.
This is how the mixture should look once it has all been combined together.
Add them to your cupcake cases and pop in the oven at 180 C for 20 mins approx. Note cooking times may change depending on your oven type.
Allow them to cool before you pipe on your buttercream. And please pop back to me tomorrow as I will be posting a delicious butter cream recipe. You can also check my Instagram stories and highlights for the buttercream method.
For more delicious recipes follow @theveganhoneypot on social media.