A lunchtime classic packed with delicious morsels of vegetables and legumes, dripping with classic Italian flavours. It’s scrumptious comfort food best served with a chunk of baguette for finishing off the soup. The family will love you for this.
- 4 Medium Potatoes cubed
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 2 Veg Stock cubes dissolved in a cup of hot water
- 2 Medium Carrots cubed
- 1 Can Mixed beans
- 1 Can Tomatoes + can water
- 1/2 Pint Passata Or 3 tbsp tomato paste + cup of water
Herbs and Spices
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- 1 Tsp Basil
- 1 Tsp Margoram
- 1/2 Tsp Thyme
- 1/4 Tsp Rosemary
- 1 Tsp Onion granules
- 1/4 Tsp Cayenne Optional for an added kick
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- Cube and parboil potatoes and carrots. Set aside in separate bowls for the soup.Finely chop onions and garlic.
- Heat oil in a large pot and add your onions with a pinch of salt. Cook on a medium heat until onions are clarified, then add your garlic and stir for another minute.
- Add to the pot a can of tomatoes plus a can of water.Sprinkle in your herbs and spices.
- Dissolve your stock cubes in a quarter cup of hot water and add to the mix.Turn up the heat and cook for a few minutes to allow the flavours combine and your soup to reduce slightly.
- Add in your passata and stir for a minute
- Toss in the potatoes and carrots and cook for a further 15 minutes on a medium to low heat. Just ensure the pot is on a constant simmer.
- Serve with some crusty bread and butter.
Parboil your potatoes by bringing to the boil then rinsing off immediately and setting aside. They will cook quick in the soup and wont break apart.
Always give your soup base a bit of a push to bring out all the tomatoey and herbaceous flavours.
I serve my soup on a bed of baby spinach. You don’t need to cook it as the heat from your soup will do the job. And you will get the nutrients from the spinach. Top off with some fresh parsley for an extra hit of iron.
Serve and enjoy!
For more delicious recipes and stories follow @theveganhoneypot on Instagram.