Saucy and savoury lentils cooked with herbs in a delicious gravy, topped with creamy sweet potato mash, then baked.
Sweet Potato Mash and Lentil Bake
- 3 Large Sweet Potatoes
- 2 Cups Cooked Green Lentils Or to cans of lentils
- 1 Cup Frozen peas
- 3 Tbsp Cornflour
- 2 Veg stock cubes
- 1 Pint Water
- 2 Tsp Thyme
- 1 Tsp Rosemary
- 1 Tsp Marjoram
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Black pepper
- 2 Tsp Paprika Pepper
- 2 Cups Spinach
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Large Onion
- I like to prep all my ingredients ahead of time. So dice your onion, cook your lentils and finely chop the garlic. Add the oil to a hot pan and toss in your onion, with a pinch of salt. Clarify slightly then add your garlic. Simmer for a couple of minutes.Dissolve your stock cubes in the pint of water then add to the pan with your herbs and spices.Next dissolve the cornflour in about a 1/4 cup of cold water with 2 tsp of dark soya sauce and leave to one side for the moment.Add your lentils to the pan and reduce the sauce slightly.Stir in the cornflour until your sauce thickens.Simmer lightly.
- Peel and chop your sweet potatoes. Add to a pot of water, bring to the boil and cook until soft.Once cooked, add about a tablespoon of butter to the potatoes and mash until nice and creamy.
- Once your sauce has thickened, add in the cup of peas.
- Add the lentils and peas to deep oven dish. Next layer with two cups of uncooked spinach.
- Finally add your sweet potato mash and sprinkle on some black pepper.Put it into a preheated oven 200 C for 20 mins until topping is a little crispi.
Golden, crispy and topped with cracked black pepper
Rich, dark, savoury and fully of herby flavours.
Add a layer of spinach