Another of my families firm favourites. My divinely saucy vegan lasagna is an easy recipe to make with a flavourful payoff.
It’s also one of those dishes that can be transformed from a simple and delicious bolognese, into a rich and creamy lasagna, something I’ve done a ton of times to save time, when I have extra work on.
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 1/2 Cups Rehydrated soya mince See notes
- 1 Cup Chopped cherry tomatoes See notes at the end
- 1 Medium Onion
- 5 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Cup Passata
- 1 Cup Veg stock
- 1 Bunch Fresh basil Or tbsp dried basil
- 1 Tbsp Paprika
- 1 Tbsp Fresh thyme Or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp Dried oregano
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Black pepper
- 2 Cups Vegan Mozzarella
- 6 Sheets Dried lasagna
Bechamel Sauce recipe
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 3 Tbsp Flour
- 3 Tbsp White wine
- 1 1/2 Cups Hot milk
- 1/2 Tsp Salt and Pepper
- Add a pinch of nutmeg
- Add your oil to a large pan, heat it up and add your onions with a pinch of salt. Clarify then add in your garlic fry up for another couple of minutes. Pop in the chopped tomatoes and fresh herbs, cook up for a couple of minutes. Next add your passata and stock. Cook up for a further five minutes then pop in your soya mince. This step takes about 15 minutes max! If you want to push your sauce for a bit longer you can. If not just move to your next step.
- Preheat your oven to about 200 CAdd your bolognase sauce to a 12 x 8 oven dishCover with the lasagna sheets.Next –
- heat up your butter in a pan.NB* Ensure you have all your ingredients to hand as the bechamel cooks quickly.
- I always sift my flour into the melted butter to avoid clumping, stirring quickly.As soon as the flour is absorbed into the butter start adding in your hot milk. Continue to stir until you begin to get a nice cream consistency.(Note, if you use cold milk your sauce is more likely to clump).Add in your wine and stir it up.
- Your sauce should be nice and creamy. If you need a little extra fluid just add some more warm water. Season with salt and pepper and nutmeg. Always do a taste test.Remove from the heat.
Next step –
- Pour your bechamel sauce over the lasagne sheets.
- Sprinkle the top with the vegan mozzarella then pop into the oven for about 20/25 minutes. Check and see your sauce is bubbling up nicely and your mozzarella has melted!
- This lasagna is quite filling, you can serve with a baked potatoe, a side of wedges or a simple salad!
Easy vegan Lasagna
Line your dish with the bolognese sauce.
Place your lasagna sheets onto the sauce. I put them on while the sauce is still warm. If you are using left overs front the night before, it doesn’t really matter, just cook in the oven for an extra five minutes.
Cover the lasagna sheets with your creamy bechamel sauce. Top tip, when making a bechamel for lasagna, ensure your milk is hot. I’ve noticed if I use cold milk it tends to clump. When I use hot milk it doesn’t.
Cover with a generous helping of vegan mozzarella. Then pop in the oven for about 25 to 30 minutes.
Eat, serve and enjoy. Please follow me on social media and especially my favourite hangout spot Instagram