These succulunt Chinese soya bites will give your tastebuds a whack of lip smacking sweet and flavours. Satisfy your takeout cravings with this simple recipe inspired by my love of Chinese food.
Sticky Asian Style Soya Bites
- 2 Cups Soya Protein Chunks
- 2 Tbsp Sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp Maple syrup Brown sugar works too. Or if you have sweet chilli sauce use this.
- 3 Tbsp Cornflour
- 2 Tsp Dark Soya Sauce
- 1/2 Chopped red chilli Optional
- 1 Bunch Shallots chopped
- 1 Tbsp Rice Wine Sherry works
- 1 Inch Ginger finely chopped Tsp ground ginger works
- 1 Tbsp Lemon or lime juice
- 1 Tbsp Water
- First step is to rehydrate the soya protein chunks. Soak in water while you read through recipe, get your pans out and all your ingredients.Once they are soaked, rinse then squeeze out as much water as possible. I generally use a fresh tea cloth to do this.
- Preheat your oven to 220 C. Add two tablespoons of cornflower to a bowl (reserve 1 tbsp cornflour for later). Add in 1/4 tsp five spice and mix.Toss the soya chunks into the bowl and coat with the cornflour mix.Pop on a greased baking sheet and oven bake for no more than ten minutes.Alternatively you can crisp up in about a tbsp of oil before adding your marinade.
- In another bowl add in the remaining cornflour, soya sauce, rice wine, lemon juice and maple syrup and a tbsp of water.
- Remove soya chunks from the oven and fully coat in your marinade. You can leave to sit for ten minutes or work with it straight away.
- Heat up oil in the pan. Toss in the soya chunks and get your sizzle on.Halfway through cooking add ginger and chilli for a punchy hit.
- At the end of the cooking before you remove add in the shallots.
- On the side I did a quick veg stir fry with carrots, garlic and peppers and added into my mix and served it up on a bed of fluffy white rice.
It’s really easy to rehydrate the soya chunks. Here’s one covered in my cornflour mix.
Crisping up nicely in the pan.
Coated in my sticky marinade and getting their sizzle on!
Add in the rest of the veg for a punchy flavourful hit of Chinese spices. Serve with a place of rice.
Taste is EVERYTHING! Enjoy.
Follow my live stories and recipes on Instagram @theveganhoneypot