This delicious tofu Szechuan is a perfect treat for those days you’re craving some spicy Chinese food. Packed with vibrant veggies and rich spicy sauce combo this makes one amazing dinner.
Szechuan Tofu and Stir Fried Vegetables.
- 2 tsp sesame oil to 2 tsps veg oil
- Tender Stem Broccoli
- Baby corn
- One medium Onion
- 1 inch of ginger
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 carrot
- Cup of sliced mushrooms
- Small bunch of spring onions
- 1 Tbsp Black and white sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp dark miso
- 1 tbsp dark soya
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1/4 cup dark soya sauce
- 1 tbsp balsamic
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- 1 tsp Szechuan pepper see notes for subs
- Cube the tofu and prepare the marinade. Add all the ingredients except the oil for the marinade into a bowl, stir then pop in the tofu and coat. Add the oil to a hot pan and toss in tofu. Cook until browned as seen in images.
- Prepare all your vegetables. Chop your aromats - garlic, ginger and onion and put in a separate bowl.
- In a bowl add all the ingredients and mix together and set aside until ready to start cooking.
- In a small cup add 1 tbsp cornflour to 1/4 cup cold water and set aside
- Add oil blend to a pan, when its hot add ginger, garlic and onions and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Next add in broccoli, cook for another minute or two, then pop in mushrooms. Continue to cook for a minute then add in the rest of the vegetables (excluding the topping).
- Stir fry for about two minutes then gradually add in your sauce, simmer for a minute or two, then add in cornflour mix and cook until sauce begins to thicken. You may need to add about another cup of water if the sauce reduces too much.
- Finally pop in the tofu and mix it all up. Let it sizzle and simmer for a few minutes before serving.
- Just before dishing up, sprinkle on the toasted sesame seeds and spring onions.
- Serve with rice or noodles.
Before I start cooking I love to get all my vegetables and tofu prepped. This part takes the longest, but once its done, the meal itself takes less than 20 minutes to cook. So before you start your prep, pop on your rice and have that ready.
Prep the tofu with about a tablespoon of dark miso, soya sauce and a couple of tablespoons of hot water to dissolve miso. Pop in to a bowl, add oil to the pan then start frying the tofu.
Toast some mixed sesame seeds for the final topping. It takes a couple of minutes max. Also, chop a small bunch of spring onions to use for final topping.
Start adding flavour to the pan, with onion, garlic and ginger.
Add in all your prepared veggies
Pour over the rich and spicy Szechuan sauce. See recipe above and video below for ingredients and method.
Follow my stories and more recipe ideas on Instagram @theveganhoneypot
If you like this recipe you’ll love my Tasty Twice Fried Tofu